Saturday, January 22, 2011

I QUIT.

My second day on the job at Joe's Italian Grill, I was asked to worked a double. I went in, worked lunch, and was asked to cover the floor by myself from 2 to 5. Initially, I was told I'd have off between lunch and dinner, but my manger/the owner, Martin, changed his mind and decided to let everyone else have a break except for me. I worked 12 hours straight, as one of four servers running a full-service restaurant without a host, busser, food expediter, or To Go person. On top of that, the owner himself was seating people at dirty tables with dishes from the people before still on the tables. He also refuses to set up sections for us servers and expected Matt, his nephew, to be able to serve tables and run a rotation. Needless to say, last night was a complete fail for the restaurant.
He doesn't want to hire more cooks or servers, but he insists that if the restaurant fails, he doesn't care because he has enough money. Well, if he has enough money to be able to lose his investment, then it doesn't make a difference for him if I'm not there to help him. After all, I was only getting 2.13 an hour. So I'm sure he can afford to replace me. He's had over 150 people come in and fill out applications in the last three days, so there is no reason, other than his stinginess, why we had to be so understaffed last night.
The "head server" Pam, former owner of Arris' Pizza here in Owasso, and I were the only two people working last night that weren't family. Halfway through the anarchy of the dinner rush, with us running all over the restaurant and greeting and serving as many tables as possible, we agreed that we weren't coming back in today. I'm not going to even bother to call in. There is no reason why last night should have gone like it did. But Martin is so closed-minded, and refuses to help establish more order in the restaurant, by simply adding a seating chart or hiring more help. I don't care anymore though. It's not my freaking problem. I am never going back, and there is no way I will ever subject myself to that kind of crap ever again.
I have never been so adamant or vocal about how terrible a business is, because I think it's bad form to talk crap about your former boss. But if you have ever worked in the food industry before, you know that leadership and order on the floor set the tone for the dining experience. Joe's Italian Grill doesn't have adequate management.
They don't follow health regulations either. Martin was seating people at the bar, which is also where we were supposed to place dirty dishes once the dish cart filled up. Instead of running the dishes to the back, because I wasn't allowed to go into the kitchen, I was made to stack them directly under the window to the kitchen where the new food was being sent from. We ran out of clean cups, plates, salad, ice, cut lemons, bread, and pretty much every other thing severs are in charge of getting for guests simply because Martin refused to prepare extras and keep them in the walk-in. Because it's cheaper for him to use what we need as we go. But it cost us servers good tips because we couldn't get anything to our tables in a timely manner.
If you get a job there, you're subjecting yourself to a demeaning culture; Albanian men expect you to serve them as if they're paying you to do their bitch work. After I had clocked off, I was asked to make a pot of coffee by one of Martin's nephews. I made the coffee, but then he yelled at me and asked "Where is my coffee?"
 "It just finished brewing."
 "Why haven't you brought it to me?"
"Because you can get it yourself! And you didn't even say please. Don't be so demanding."
 "Fine! I'll just get it myself!"
 "That's an idea."

On top of all of that crap, Martin pocketed Pam's cash tips off of tables. She saw him do it more than once, which is why she walked about with like 45 bucks from the whole night. I am a woman of integrity and honesty, and I can not stand behind or work under someone who is stealing from my fellow co-workers. Because I don't know if I'm getting stolen from either. I just do not back shady business, and there is nothing that could ever make me go back to that Hell hole ever again.
I had so many tables that were asking why I was running around so much. Several of them had worked as servers before and asked " Has your manager ever heard of sections before? There's no reason why you should have to sprint around the restaurant just to get to your tables." The only reason why I made money was because people felt bad for how I was getting screwed over by the chaos. And I guarantee none of those people will ever come back. Because, honestly, who wants to go eat somewhere if you don't know if you'll get sat at a clean table, be greeted within the first 15 minutes of sitting at your table, or even get your food within an hour and a half of putting your order in? There is just no way that business is going to survive Owasso. But hey, Martin has money so he can afford the loss. He doesn't care, so why should his employees?

And that is my experience from working at Joe's Italian Grill.

2 comments:

  1. Lame. I guess I lied about money coming...haha. Well at least you have a good story...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow never going there

    ReplyDelete