Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Headed In the Right Direction.

84 days until I leave for Basic. I am so very excited. I love list making, so yesterday I decided to make a list of all of the things that I need to finish between now and April 5th. Last night I cleaned my room and wrote down all of the projects that I started but never finished. I also listed ideas for new projects to do over the next 84 days. It's one thing to feel the urgent need to finish stuff, but it's a whole different feeling of accomplishment when you finish something and can cross it off a list. My plan for this season in my life is to check off as many objectives as possible.

I have struggled immensely with procrastination, and I'm really bad about focusing on one project at a time. It is both a blessing and a curse to have so many ideas buzzing around in my brain. But Francyne is teaching me how to focus on one thing at a time with the leeway of pausing to talk about and sketch ideas, so I can be both productive and creative. It's simply a matter of channeling my creativity into one specific medium, and seeing it through to the end. It's definitely easier said than done, because the temptation to do so many different things will always be there. But, I can only read one book at a time, or sew one dress, or crochet one scarf, or paint one picture. Acknowledging my limitations is helping me embrace organization. I should have done this years ago.

2 comments:

  1. That's what makes me upset sometimes. There are so many books I want to read. So many pictures i want to take. So many movies i want to watch. So many friends i want to hang out with. Etc. Etc.

    BUT THERE'S NO TIME!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You think that, but then when you have eight months of absolutely nothing important or pressing to do, you find yourself blogging more than once a day, and checking your facebook thirty times a day. Seriously. If I'd deleted my facebook in August, I probably would've read sixty something books by now with all of the time I've blown on fb. But then you and I wouldn't be friends, so it's has both pros and cons.

    ReplyDelete