Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hands On Joe's.

I finally got a job. 74 days before leaving for Basic. But I'm not saying anything because I'm tired of being broke as a joke and bored as a bum. I went in for training at 5 this evening, but was only given a de-brief on how we fill out tickets, where to wash your hands, and where the bev station is.
Everything else I learned along the way when they threw me on the floor. Yikes. I did decent considering I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I was one of three servers covering twenty tables, which I am not used to. They don't have sections either, so I was literally running all over the restaurant the whole night. Tomorrow, I am going to beg for a seating chart, so I don't have to sprint around everywhere just to get refills. Ugh.
It's an Italian restaurant called "Joe's Italian Grill", but the owner's name is Martin. ha. His two sons, Al and Matt, are also servers and they're who I will be working with for the next 70 days. Al is really attractive, but Matt (his older brother), made it a point to say that I am not allowed to fraternize with fellow employees. But that's great, because that means it's family policy (because it's a family-owned business) that I'm off-limits. And, since everyone I work with is a guy, it's nice to know that I'm protected by that code.
The family is originally from Montenegro, but they just moved to Owasso from Dallas. They speak Albanian, English and Spanish, which is cool... except when they're ranting to each other about something I did wrong, and I can't understand what the deal is.
Because they're not white bread, they're very melodramatic (for men). It was a bit overwhelming. But they're really nice to me and, when I messed up, they were really kind about explaining what I did wrong then correcting it for me. They don't like me carrying heavy trays, and always follow me with a tray-jack. It might be a bit frustrating to put up with their snide comments to each other in Albanian with English cuss words thrown in, but money is money. And I made forty on my first night off eight tables. Not bad considering I still don't know how to pronounce half the stuff on the menu or what comes with a side salad and what doesn't. "Nothing like hands on training," says Francyne.

1 comment:

  1. haha sounds like a blast!!

    You're gonna have so much fun working there i can tell. learn some albanian cuss words and teach them to me!

    ReplyDelete