Friday, February 4, 2011

Sick-o-Snow: Day 4

Snowy path between my neighborhood and the high school.

It snowed like five more inches today, which puts the average of frozen precipitation for Owasso at 21 inches. I woke up this morning dreaming about making a faux fur capette. I haven't Started it yet, but I will finish it before I go to bed tonight.
This afternoon I showered, put on makeup, did my hair and put on my favorite shirt (The Almighty Norma Jean shirt that Michael left here at Christmas that I have adopted until further notice). I layered on pants: leggings under sweater-knit leggings under Pajama Jeans. I layered on jackets: 'boyfriend' cardigan from Mike and Abbie, ancient orange jacket from my high school boyfriend, a North Face jacket (that I borrowed from James two days before we broke up that I never gave back), and my teal marshmallow coat. [I feel like I should make some witty comment about men only being good for keeping warm, but even a hopeless-romantic-turned-cynic like me knows that is simply not true. I mean, half the time, I can't open jelly jars. Men are good at opening jars... and doors too.]

I was going to see Black Swan at 2:20 but decided against it at 2:27 when I was walking by Alcapulco Tanning Salon and decided to stop by. If you know me or have seen my picture, it is rather evident that I don't need to go tanning, for I am already dark-complected. But as of late, I've been feeling symptoms of SAD creeping on. I can't afford a light therapy box, but I decided to do my own sort of light therapy and give tanning a try. Let me tell you folks, it was a wonderful experience. I got some bronzing lotion and I can still smell the topics on my skin. I decided to go with a one month package, so I can still get some Vitamin D this frigid February. And I am really content with my decision. I won't go everyday because I don't want to dry up like a raisin. But I will go when spontaneously. It's a great excuse to get out of the house. And, seeing as we're expecting two more snow storms in the next few days, I'm definitely going to need an excuse to get out.

People are getting really antsy and desperate to get out of the house (I know I am). But I'm curious as to how many people are really willing to risk their lives just so school can open back up on Monday. I mean, the snow is not going to melt away anytime soon. And we're still expecting more. Should we just shut down our lives and wait it out? Or should we just pretend like there's not two feet of white death on the highways and 10 foot glaciers in our parking lots (that pedestrians can not climb over, might I add)? Should I call Chili's and see if they want me to trek across the Oklahoman tundra, tracking snow all around the restaurant while completing re-training and seating guests? Should I freeze my debit card in a block of ice until I start working again? Life is just a series of questions, answered in ways that we never thought possible. I suppose I will wait patiently for my answers.

After dropping by the Spring Break party (in my mind) and getting some (fake) sun, I walked to Seasons Express and hung out with some cute, giggly Asian girls. As I approached the door, some snow fell onto the sidewalk right in front of me. When I went inside, an avalanche of white sin fell right where I had just been standing. The girls screamed with laughter at how lucky I was to have missed it by a second. My sesame chicken was marvelous and the girls really entertaining to watch. One of them was flirting with a man that was about in his fifties, who came in for a To Go order with his wife. One of the girls commented after he left, saying "Hey, it's good for business." I pass no judgement.

I came downstairs to make some coffee right as Nonna was putting some frozen pizzas in the oven. We watched the French film "Amelie" and ate pizza together. It was a really interesting film. I would recommend it to people who can appreciate art. It was a nice way to spend the evening.

Now I am drinking Echinacea tea and trying to decide what else to do tonight. Shall I tuck in early, make a capette, or watch more episodes of Lost? Today is Friday and normally Francyne and I do something crafty together on Fridays, so I think I shall make my capette in honour of today's missed Fridate.

Cheers,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment