Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Whip My Hair.*


I received a call from my recruiter today informing me that I got the Broadcast job I auditioned for! Hooray! This means that I'll be off to tech school right outside of Baltimore, Maryland after Basic. I could be done with tech school and living in a different country this time next year. Wild, huh? I am so excited! It's a dream come true. Granted, I was leaning more towards hittin' the turn tables with DJing, but I'll still get to refresh my mixing knowledge in tech school and I'll (hopefully) get to do radio, so I don't have to dress for success everyday. I wanna scratch a few records with Brooklyn's dad next time I'm in Fort Smith. Because everyone knows that's where all the best DJs go to get famous. The night life there is INSANE.

I still haven't decided if it is possible to do everything I've ever wanted to do in my life and still have a family of my own. Years ago, I was talking with a friend who had just gotten engaged. We were talking about dream jobs and I told her that there were so many things that I wanted to do and I couldn't wait to start living out my dreams. She said "Once you find a guy that you want to settle down with, you'll realize that they're nothing but dreams." I was taken aback by the way she completely dumped on my hopes of doing all the different things that I want to do. I'll never forget how convinced she was that I was going to settle. She went on to get married, have a child, get fat, and stay in the lame job that she was working when we had that conversation. Reflecting on her poor example has made me realize that my dream job(s) will never be mine if I settle (down) at this age.

I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom and I don't want to have kids anytime soon. I want to run around the world, network, gain experience in a real career and go out and do my own thing for a while. I see so many people from high school getting married and having babies and I know that is not for me... not right now, anyway. If I were to convince myself otherwise, I wouldn't be staying true to the burning desire for adventure that God placed in my chest.

So I must run. I must venture into uncharted territory. I must dive headfirst into the unknown. I know I won't drown. I'll survive and I'll love every second of it because hard work always pays off in the end. I'm pretty easy going so I know I like where ever I'm living. And if I decide not to make a career out of it (and retire at age forty), I'll still have an awesome time traveling for free then getting the sickk benefits of being a veteran for the rest of my life.

This is so much more than just 10% off meals for the rest of my life though. This is something so much bigger than me. I try not to think about it too much because I'm not comfortable feeling proud of things. But I do love America and I am proud to represent my country. This is going to be one helluva trip.

*BTW: I've been listening to Willow Smith's single "Whip My Hair" all afternoon. The video is incredible. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment